The bankruptcy discharge varies depending on the type of case a debtor files: chapter 7, 11, 12, or 13. Bankruptcy Basics attempts to answer some basic questions about the discharge available to individual debtors under all four chapters including:
- What is a discharge in bankruptcy?
- When does the discharge occur?
- How does the debtor get a discharge?
- Are all of the debtor’s debts discharged or only some?
- Does the debtor have the right to a discharge or can creditors object to the discharge?
- Can a debtor receive a second discharge in a later chapter 7 case?
- Can the discharge be revoked?
- May the debtor pay a discharged debt after the bankruptcy case has been concluded?
- How can the Debtor obtain another Copy of the Discharge Order?